A small and elegant city filled with beautiful gardens – that’s one way to look at Uppsala. The whole old city is so idyllic that it is practically a garden.
But Uppsala is also home to the first Botanical Garden in Sweden, the Linnean Garden. Set up in 1655 by Olof Rudbeck, the garden was destroyed by a huge fire in 1702. It was named after Carl Linneaus who took over the management of the garden in 1744, when he was made Professor of Medicine in Uppsala University. Linneaus was the father of modern classification, and showed a particular interest and proclivity for plants sending many disciples around the world with merchant ships to obtain new plant specimens. Plants that could be grown were grown in the garden and before long the garden became a botanical mecca in Europe.
The original Linnean Botanical Gardens was shut down in the 1800s and a larger one was built. It was built on land donated by the king to Uppsala University. The land was given to Carl Peter Thurnberg by King Gustav III because the former was dissatisfied with the quality of the land that held the old garden.
The new garden was laid out in the French Baroque style of the time and opened in 1807, and it today run by the University. It is home to some 9000 plant species, an orangery for cacti and fig trees as well as a a tropical greenhouse.
ON THE MAP (Linneaus Garden)
ON THE MAP (Botanical Gardens)